You ever met a mentally tough person and wonder, how the heck did they get that way?
Believe me, it’s not just luck but by the choices, they make daily and the discipline to keep making those choices. Here are 7 habits you can develop to become and stay mentally tough:
- Control Your Emotions – If you can handle your emotions under the toughest situations then you are already above most of your peers. Because it’s in those toughest moments that your character will be tested. “But how do I control my emotions, Carmen?” Great question. There are many ways, but one of the most important ways is to take a deep breath and count to 10. I know it’s cliche’ but it really works. Or, step away from the situation and take a walk to clear your mind. Also, think if it’s worth fighting for. If not, let it go! “You are in control of your life when you refuse to be provoked.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
- Self-Confidence – Having true confidence in yourself shows that you have the power to succeed at anything you put your mind to. One great ritual to keep your self-confidence on high is daily affirmations. Wake up every morning and affirm yourself and you will feel the power of confidence the rest of the day. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” ― J.M. Barrie
- Law of Environment – This law (not an actual law) states that you become the sum of the five closest people. But a true mentally tough person, no matter how difficult those people may be, will not permit them to bring them down. Check your circle and make sure you are surrounded by great people, that even in your weakness are there to lend a helping hand not to judge you. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
- Don’t Fear Change – They’re open to change and are not insane by repeating the same things over. Learn from your lesson, because in everything there is a lesson. The power is in not repeating the same mistake. “A year from now you will wish you had started today.” -Karen Lamb
- Watch Your Language – “I don’t think I can” is not in their vocabulary. But it is easy for them to say, “NO”. People who are mentally tough speak a different language. They are never negative. So, never say “can’t” because in every challenge is an opportunity to make yourself great. “I believe that words are strong, that they can overwhelm what we fear when fear seems more awful than life is good.” ― Andrew Solomon
- Take Risks – They take chances and are not afraid to take risks. Don’t be afraid to take that leap, whether it’s a new career or a new relationship. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far it is possible to go.” — T.S. Eliot
- Rise Up From Your Mistakes – We all know that the road to success comes with many obstacles. Many are put there to trip you or even distract you. But it’s the one that will get up and move forward that will reach the highest success. So, if you make a mistake or fall, just get up, correct it and keep moving forward. The power is in not staying stagnant. “If you fall behind, run faster. Never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds.” ~ Jesse Jackson
Cheers to Success!